05 March 2008

Ridiculous things I want to spend money on

Everyone knows I'm cheap. I can't help it - just brought up that way, I guess. It is a habit I've cultivated over my entire lifetime. Doug says that he thinks if I won the lottery, I would still be frugal. This is likely true. However, occasionally I run across things that make me think, "now that I would blow money on if I had it to spare." I'm going to start a running list of things I'll purchase if I ever win the lottery (since I would actually have to have millions in the bank before I'd be this irresponsible).

This is the first of those things. ecreamery.com allows you to design your own ice cream flavors and then name your flavor and have it shipped to you. Since ice cream is one of my very favorite desserts, I can't imagine a better dessert than an ice cream containing exactly what I wanted. They have traditional flavors like chocolate and vanilla and even my favorite (dark raspberry) along with nontraditional flavors like anise, mango, ginger, and clove. Stir ins include traditional delights like dark chocolate alongside stranger additions like cheddar cheese and basil. So, when I finally get around to buying that lottery ticket that will, of course, be a winner, what kind of ice cream does everyone love?

The second thing I'd like to purchase in abundance is L'Occitane en Provence items. I currently indulge in their tinted lip balms (one of my all time favorite beauty products), their pure shea butter tin, and their solid Green Tea perfume. I received a Ruban d'Orange shower gel for Christmas and it is divine. However, when I have millions in the bank, I'd love to add some of their other delectable products to my toiletry case.

The third thing that I can think of right off is really good quality linens. I love having cloth napkins at the dinner table. Everything tastes better when served on a beautiful plate with a cloth napkin tucked under the corner - right? I also adore really good, quality sheets on the bed. I would love to be able to splurge on these items without thinking, "they want what for a set of Queen sheets?!?"

The final thing for today is Kinerase moisturizer. I've always been of the opinion that any facial moisturizer was just as good as the next one. Boy, was I ever wrong. I received a postcard from my favorite makeup store Sephora to take home a sample of Kinerase on them. The offer was followed by my favorite words on a postcard like this: No purchase necessary. So, the next time I was at the mall, I picked up my sample. I expected little of the sample, valued at $35. However, I was wrong! The lotion is light and airy and feels like a little bit of satin on your face. And, even more surprising, it actually does what it says it will do. It temporarily erases the smile lines and wrinkles around my lips, eyes, and forehead and has lessened their appearance overall. I've tried my best to use it sparingly to make the tiny little pot last as long as possible but I am almost to the bottom. At $117 for 2.8 oz, I won't be replacing it. Well, not until I win the lottery anyway.

As I think of additional items, I'll revise this post to include them.

No comments: