03 January 2008

Funny Moments

Where does his little mind come up with these things?

J is still getting into trouble at school occasionally and just before Christmas he was having a particularly hard time behaving with all the chaos at school involving parties and Christmas program rehearsals. One morning Doug was reminding him that he needed to be good at school that day or he would be in trouble. J apparently thought this was a fairly stern warning as he looked up at his Daddy and asked, "With the police?" Doug told him he'd try to keep them out of it. Fortunately, we didn't have to report him to the police as he had a good day that day.

J has entered the WHY phase. He questions everything. One of my favorite recent questions he asked of Doug is, "Is God afraid of bad guys?" Additionally, he quizzed my dad for about ten minutes on the details of being a soldier. There was no pause to think about the answers he had been given before the next question was on the tip of his tongue. This is a snippet of that conversation.

J: Were you a soldier?
Dad: Yes.
J: Can I see a picture?
Dad: Sure. (shows him a Command photo from a few years ago)
J: Are you holding that flag?
Dad: No, it is behind me.
J: Where is your sword?
Dad: I didn't have a sword.
J: Did you have a gun?
Dad: Yes.
J: Did you have it in that picture?
Dad: No, I didn't have it with me that day.
J: Did you have it with you three days before that.
Dad: I don't remember. Probably not.
J: Did you ever kill anybody?
Dad: No.
J: Why not?
Dad: There are lots of different kinds of soldiers.
J: Can you show me how to march like a soldier?
Dad: Sure. And I'll show you how to salute also.

No comments: